> Why not just get the L2 cache replaced ?  Daystar
> will do it for ~$30 + shpping, IIRC.

$30 must be with a processor upgrade (but replacing the CPU would mean a new cache anyway?).
I was looking at the cache repair from Daystar
<http://4daystar.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=150>
but at $110 for the repair I decided to get a replacement Lombard with a not-failed-yet cache chip. I checked yesterday and booting the Lombard in OS 9.2 gives the "problem with cache memory" message whether you start from the CD or from the hard drive. System Profiler will show whether the cache is working in either OS 9 or OS X. I haven't noticed any speed change in the Lombard that has the failed cache (OS 9.2.2) but it's used by my daughter so she doesn't really ask much of it. We had noticed more freezes requiring the "reset" button after the chip failed, usually it wouldn't wake up after sleep. The OS X (3.9) Lombard requires the reset to wake up less than 1/4 of the time. I think it seems to happen more often when we leave Safari running.
--
Andrew in Ann Arbor