On Jul 16, 2005, at 2:08 AM, Claire Hart wrote:

Sorry to be posting so many questions lately, but this real estate situation really has me trying to take my PowerBook to a new level, somewhere that I've not yet been! Regarding Virtual PC, I've read that either it's buggy with Tiger, or it doesn't yet work with Tiger. Now on to my current question:

The 7.0.2 update (released a few weeks ago) seems to have solve the Tiger issues

Dan & Van alluded to the use of RDC as a possible solution to my "real estate - having to get a PC computer" question. I have surfed around and googled around to learn about RDC. In the same context, VNP also usually comes up. If I used RDC, would I have to buy a PC, and then I'd leave it at the office? Then I would access it from my PowerBook? Would I still need Virtual PC running Windows to access a PC with RDC? This is a new idea for me, so I'm not very knowledgeable about it. I've found lots of forums of people asking questions.

RDC and "VNC" (not VNP) are pretty much the same thing.

1) If you have RDC you do not need VirtualPC (*)

2) You need a PC with Windows XP Pro (not XP HOME!!!!) on it.

3) You would need a way to connect INTO the XP/Pro machine (usually this means port-forwarding through your router/firewall... which is easy to do, but if the machine is at the office then the IT guy has to set it up for you. If you have DSL/Cable at home you could setup the machine there.

4) If your office network does not have a static external IP (i.e. one you can use to know that you are connecting to your office network and not somewhere else), you'll need some way like dyndns.org to be able to connect whenever it gets a new IP (this is very common in business which have DSL/Cable connections).

5) You will need to make sure that the PC is not set to sleep

(*) except as a backup in case you can't access the work PC via RDC

Now I use RDC all the time to do little things. On the office LAN it's almost just as fast as sitting at the keyboard (in fact I have my Dell laptop Ethernet connected directly to my Powerbook at home and use RDC rather than leaning over and using the keyboard on the Dell laptop).

RDC is a great tool (although the Mac version has some severe and stupid limitations compared to the Windows version :-/ but I would NOT use it if I were you.

I would invest in a decent Dell laptop with Win XP Pro (SP2) on it and plenty of RAM and built-in wireless.

I would install MS anti-spyware (free) on it.

I would install AVG on it (see Google)

I would never ever ever ever use Outlook Express. (and would use Outlook only if I absolutely had to)

I would not use the machine for casual use, surfing around to random sites and installing ANYTHING ELSE on it except perhaps the latest version of Office (no suspicious shareware, no KaaZa, etc)

And I would find that the machine and OS were remarkably stable.

(This is what I do with my Dell laptop, a 650Mhz machine with 512 MB of RAM which has run pretty much problem free for over a year... because I only use it for the specific things I need it for: IE6 and ACT!)

They won't take away your "Mac Lover" button just because you use a PC when it's the logical choice when compared to the gyrations you'd have to go through to use your Mac in an environment openly hostile to it.

TjL