I'll try to keep this very simple.

    I have a G5 iMac running 10.4.2 and...

    A G3 iBook running the latest version of Panther.

    I have a DSL modem connected to a LinkSys router.

    That router in turn is connected to my iMac via an ethernet cable and...

    Connected to a Graphite Apple Base Station and thence to the iBook.

    I'd like to move files back and forth between the two machines by
networking them.

    QUESTION:  In the System Preferences > Sharing panel, which if any
Services must I turn on?

    I have the firewalls for both Macs turned and nothing checked under the
Services panel of either.

    On the G5, I went to Go > Connect to Server > and typed in the
information provided in the G3's Sharing Panel.  The info after <Other
computers on your local subnet can access your computer at:>

    When I try to <Connect to Server> at present, I get, <Connecting to
Server>, then an <AFP Connection Status> window then, after a long wait,
<Connection failed>.

    Many thanks,
    bob