We returned yesterday (Sunday) afternoon from a week of boy scout camp. I had four days to study for a real estate test (that I will take Thursday) with software that will only run on a PC. So, I CCC'ed my PowerBook onto a LaCie external HD, repaired permissions, etc., then installed Virtual PC and Windows XP Pro. It's really weird seeing all of that PC stuff on my screen!!!

Next I installed three different programs that my sons said I absolutely had to have. They are Ad-Aware, Sygate Firewall, and AVG (antivirus guard). I installed them from a CD that my son burned for me. The installations were flawless. It was weird watching the little pages float over from one folder to the other on MY computer (if you've watched a PC install, you know what I mean.) Then I installed the exam-studying software. So far, I have studied through abut 1/5 of the material without a hitch.

I easily go back and forth between Mac apps and Windows apps. It seems even smoother than when I was toggling back and forth between Classic and OSX on my Blueberry iMac. It's weird (again) to see the Mac desktop, with a Windows screen in front of it bouncing around a Windows XP Pro screensaver, while I'm playing the Mac's Mahjong Solitaire! I refuse to get online through the Windows apps unless I absolutely have to, but the software I'm studying with requires that I be online as I go through the material. I constantly have little popups telling me that something was just blocked from coming or going. All very different. Having been only a Mac user since 1993, using this Windows environment is definitely making me "Think Different" in a backwards-sort of a way.

I have the 17" PowerBook 1.5 GHz from last summer's crop of PowerBooks, with the RAM maxed. So far, this has been a very smooth experience, although not quite as fast as it probably would run on a PC. When this real estate test is behind me, I will load the next program that I will be required to use as a real estate agent, and give it a whirl. I think that those programs will be the real tests.

Anyway, just keeping you guys informed of what direction I decided to take. I'm grateful that I have the permission of the broker to try to get my PowerBook in step with his office of PCs, and that I have a month to play with it before it and I have to be fully operational.

Thanks for all the input over the past month,
Claire