on 28/07/05 00:28, Jeff Wenzel at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm considering purchasing a pb g3 wsII 300mhz, running 8.5 with 192MB/8g
> hd, DVD card and drive.
> Haven't worked or played with macs since 1994 (can you even imagine???) so
> I'm essentially clueless - but hey, I found this group so I can't be beyond
> help (I hope).
> I've read how to trick it to get beyond the 192 and get to 512 for RAM.
> That's good - but as far as operating systems go - where does that max out?
> How far down the road is it before the latest web browsers won't work with
> an "ancient" OS?
> Also, with everything SCSI are there any 3rd party adapters out there for
> plugging in digital cameras/dv recorders?
> I'm not trying or expecting to run the world with this computer - I'd just
> like to own a mac again and am wondering what the bottom line expectations
> should be with this unit. What will it do and what will it not do.
> I'm open to any and all suggestions and even heavy criticism at this point -
> wish I was as savvy as most of you on here, but all that went out the window
> 10 years ago - and God knows in the computer world, a day is as a thousand
> years.

Some people are running the latest version of OS X, 10.4, on a Wallstreet.
You would need the software XPostFacto in order to fool the installer, but
it's doable. The latest version of OS X officially supported is 10.2. You
need to keep in mind that there won't be DVD playback under OS X on the
Wallstreet because Apple never wrote a driver for the DVD decoder card. If
you really want this feature, then you'll need to go back to the old Mac OS.
Version 9.2.2 runs fine on the Wallstreet.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

plonk: excl.,vt. [Usenet: possibly influenced by British slang `plonk' for
cheap booze, or `plonker' for someone behaving stupidly (latter is lit.
equivalent to Yiddish `schmuck')] The sound a newbie makes as he falls to
the bottom of a kill file. While it originated in the newsgroup
talk.bizarre, this term (usually written "*plonk*") is now (1994) widespread
on Usenet as a form of public ridicule.