Dylan McDermond wrote:

Does the Pismo truly not have a temperature sensor? I find that a
little hard to believe, but my wife's Pismo 400 running 10.4.2 says
that it doesn't when I try running Temperature Monitor 2.5 and
ThermoInDock 0.9. Is this something that Tiger has broken? Will this
keep the fan from kicking on if it heats up too much?

The Pismo does have a temperature sensor, but something was changed in one of the 10.3.x updates that made it impossible for Temperature Monitor and other utilities to read from it. The fan will go on when it overheats. I find mine overheats (both when it was a 500MHz G3 and now as a 550MHz G4) when (a) there is intense disk activity, such as copying multi-GBs or installing System software (which is annoying, but nothing I can do about the latter so I just leave the room); and (b) when certain apps hog the CPU. When the fan starts screaming during normal use, I open Activity Monitor to see which is the culprit; usually it's Safari suddenly using 70-90% of the CPU; I look through the pages I have open and close any that look suspicious (one that consistently causes this problem is the International Herald Tribune <http://www.iht.com>) until Safari retires back to its customary 10-20%, then after a while the fan will shut up. Another CPU hog is Canon's CanoScan utility; some kind of sloppy coding, I guess.