On Aug 1, 2005, at 10:34 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Jul 31, 2005, at 12:35 PM, Harry Corsover wrote:

CompUsa.com has a deal I saw on dealmac.com for a Netgear WGM124 Pre-N Wireless Router for $40 after rebate. <http://dealmac.com/ artclick.html?92380,132898>.

This router uses a preliminary version of the 802.11n standard, which provides for increased range ("up to 20%") and speeds over 802.11g. (It's backward-compatible with 802.11g and 802.11b.) Deal ends August 6.

Well, you'll not get any of the 'Pre-N' features, so your range may not improve.

Their web site indicates an improvement in range for 802.11b and g of "up to 20%." The claims for increased range for Pre-N are significantly higher.I guess I could buy it and return it if this turns out not to be the case. I'm still trying to get info on how many Ethernet ports the device has. I've sent CompUsa an email and left a voice mail.

Second, you don't need a PC slot to use the router, only the card for the PC. (which you're not using.)

Right. I was talking about the "Pre-N" PC card. So at least theoretically, one could get the "Pre-N" features with this card. Their spec sheet for the router includes Mac OS, but the one for the card does not.

I'd still llike to hear from anyone who has experience with Netgear.

Thanks,

Harry Corsover