Malcolm Cornelius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asks:
>What's the difference between old and new world?

quoting from page 76 in Apple's Lombard devnote:
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintos
h_CPUs-G3/PowerBookG3Series_1999/PowerBookG3Series_1999.pdf>

[quote]
The PowerBook G3 Series 1999 computer is different from previous PowerBook
computers in that it has no single, large ROM that contains many
components
of the Mac OS software, along with the 68K emulator, hardware
initialization,
and the nanokernel. Instead, a small ROM provides hardware initialization
functions and provides a mechanism to load the Mac OS ROM image into
RAM. The new software architecture that is centered around ROM-in-RAM and
its ramifications is called the NewWorld architecture.
[/quote]

There's more details in the devnote of course than I quote here. The
first gen new world machines included Lombard, the clamshell iBook, the
original iMac and the Blue & White PowerMac.

All PCI Macs have openfirmware, worlds old and new.

dan k

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700