on 06/08/05 13:19, Jan Georgen at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I posted much of the following to the Apple PowerBook Usage
> discussion, am also
> trying here in search of much needed help!
>
> I replaced the sound/ac card and the power switch in a 400mHz Pismo.
> The computer chimes and I can get the screen to light up with both AC
> and//or a battery (the battery also charges). The internal hard drive
> will not, however, spin up.
>
> So I pulled the hard drive out of my 500mHz Pismo, 1 gig RAM (drive
> previously known to work) and tried to boot from it, same result. I
> then pulled the internal hard drive out and inserted my expansion bay
> hard drive (Yes! I have one of those great old rarities that
> currently houses a 60gig 5400rpm drive!) and the computer booted.
>
> This morning I returned my hard drive to my Pismo and got the same
> results as with the 400mHz Pismo: no spinning, only the grey screen.
> If I try to boot into target mode, my computer shuts down. Also, as
> long as the internal drive is connected, my expansion bay drives
> (hard drive + CD-ROM) do nothing. I ran Disk Utility on the drive
> (after placing it in an external case and mounting it to my Sawtooth)
> and got the 'okay' but when I tried Disk Warrior, I was informed that
> the directory was way too messed up to fix. The drive does, however,
> mount when in the external case and I was able to copy all of my
> documents etc. to another drive (whew!!!!).
>
> I am stumped. Could there be something with the sound/ac card that
> provides power to everything else, but not the internal hard drive?
> Can the internal ATA somehow short and screw up the hard drive
> ribbon? Or might I have missed a wire/connection??
> Or????
>
> Any ideas will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Have you tried reseating the processor daughtercard?

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

microserf: /mi:'kro-s*rf/ [popularized, though not originated, by Douglas
Copeland's book "Microserfs"] A programmer at Microsoft, especially a
low-level coder with little chance of fame or fortune. Compare MicroDroid.