On 8/11/05, Clark Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Last week my family was on vacation in Oregon.  We travelled there
> (and back) from California via Amtrak's Coast Starlight (late as
> usual).  While on the train I was able to connect my iBook through my
> cell phone (Verizon).  Back in the mountains I had no access but
> along I-5 in both California and Oregon I was able to connect without
> a problem.
>
> The Phoenix Suites hotel we stayed at in Albany, OR offered free
> wireless Internet access which was one reason we stayed there.
> Connection was just a matter of saying yes to the OS X.3 prompt when
> it asked if I wanted to use the hotel's wireless APs.  The hotel is 4
> stories and had (IIRC) 6 APs, the claimed coverage through the hotel,
> I had good connections from rooms on two different floors and the
> lobby.  The system intercepts your web access puts up a web page
> detailing terms of service (basically they don't allow file sharing
> services) and virus warnings.  After that it works normally.  My only
> complaint is that it puts that page up every couple of hours.  And
> after it puts up that page you can't back up and get back to the page
> you were trying to get to.  They only need to do it once.  E-mail and
> news programs had no problem at all.  My daughter had the same
> experience using OS X.2.8 on her Wallstreet.  I was a bit surprised
> as I thought the Source Forge driver took a little more effort to
> find an AP.
>
>  From Albany we drove to The Dalles which is about 80 miles east of
> Portland along the Columbia River.  There we stayed at the Shilo Inn.
> It also offered free wireless Internet.  Our experience there was the
> same including the persistent web page intercept.
>
> The third place we stayed at was an old dingy motel in Medford
> (having found no better place in town with a vacancy).  No Internet
> and my cell phone was on the Extended Network meaning I could make
> voice calls but not data.  On the way back to Albany we stopped for
> gas and I was able to access a free WiFi AP from the service station.
> But I was driving so I couldn't read my mail along the way.
>
> It's a small sample but the free Internet access worked fine.
>
> My ISP has dialup access points around California and national dialup
> for a $3/mo fee.  In the past I have used it but this time I didn't
> hoping I could use the hotel wireless access and my cell phone.  And
> except for one day I was able to.
> --
> Clark Martin
> Redwood City, CA, USA
> Macintosh / Internet Consulting
>
> "I'm a designated driver on the Information Super Highway"

A few months ago I was at a Motel 6 in Illinois with free wifi and it
was a one clicker type of deal too. My PB G4 picked up the signal as
soon as I booted it and I never had any PIA pages or terms popping up.
That would be annoying but for free (no add-on charges that are not
already added-on) you can't complain too much.

--
Ron

http://krowmagnum.4mg.com/