>From another Lister, "Michael Cangelosi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> came
this amazing reply, for which I'm deeply grateful. Unfortunately, I don't
have all the pieces necessary to try his suggestion.

I also wonder, though, whether Apple had intended some more direct method to
accomplish this hookup, which my gut tells me should be a relatively
straightforward thing to accomplish. . . and surely, innumerable Mac users
have had the need to do the same thing!

Michael suggested:

"If you can connect both of these to the internet simultaneously behind a
switch/router you should be able to see them on the network -- you could
even goto ipchicken.com to find the IP of the ibook, then try to telnet
into there from control-panels remote connect on the wallstreet using
that IP address -- then just log in like you would from the home log-in
screen of the ibook.

Isn't that right -- I'm looking for a confirmation from a more
expereinced poster here

MJC"

-----Original Message-----
From: G-Books [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Stanton
Mitrany
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 4:36 PM
To: G-Books
Subject: REPOST: How can I connect Wallstreet II/ OS 9.2.2 to iBook
500/OS X 10.3.9?

Dear List-mate,

I didn't get a single response to this inquiry when I posted it a few
weeks ago; perhaps you can at least point me in the right direction?!

I imagined this was an easy question, but I've never done it, and don't
know how.

How do I connect two PowerBooks, a Wallstreet II running OS 9.2.2 and an
iBook 500, running OS X 10.3.9 to one another, so that I can copy files
from one to the other?

Here's the equipment I have available to me which might prove useful:

- USB A-B cables and a Belkin USB hub

- straight and crossover ethernet cables,

- D-Link DWL Wireless USB adapter,

- 2 USB Bluetooth adapters- a D-Link Bluetooth DBT-120, and a Mitsumi
CE0197,

- Belkin 802.11B PCMCIA CardBus Wireless Notebook Network Card F506020.

I don't know which device and/or cable to use, for what, and how. I
don't know whether to attach these before startup, which machine to
start first, which control panels to set up on each machine, and in what
order, etc.

Do any of these units require drivers which may need to be installed in
either system?

Does one of the machines have to be a master and the other a slave?

Does one of the operating systems have to have control over the other?

Have you ever done this? Please tell me how! If you really know how,
will you please explain it step-by-step?

Has someone written a simple guide to how to do this, which I can
download & read? I've checked MacHelp for "connecting two (or 2)
powerbooks" and have found nothing which seems to address this topic.

Also, if you're attempting to respond to this appeal, please be kind
enough to copy my email with your answer, to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> since I've been receiving a large
percentage of "bounce" messages relating to postings to the list, and
therefore, I'm probably not seeing more than one in four or five.

Please give me any help you can! At least, please try to point me in the
right direction!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and wisdom!

All the best,
stanton