On Aug 17, 2005, at 2:51 PM, David Brostoff wrote:

At 1:03 PM -0700 on 8/17/05, John Collins wrote:

In your case having already learned the Portfolio system, etc. you would not likely have the problems I have had.
<snip>
So hopefully, that gives you an idea--I don't think my problems will bother you--just new users.

Thank you for your explanation, although I must say that if I am any example, unless 6 and 7 are vastly different from 5, I think most users would have an easy time learning the program: File/New Catalog (or Command+N) to open a new catalog; drag photos to catalog window; File>Open Catalog (or Command+O) to open and view a catalog; double-click an image for an enlarged view. I don't think I have found a reason to use any other functions.

I can't compare to 5, but 7 and I think 6 has many powerful features--N ow that I know the basics and have worked with it--the manual is making more sense and I see all kinds of possibilities. And yes to open a new catalog and add photos is simple if you know what you are adding. Since I wanted to do the keywords and descriptions as I cataloged, Elements 3 was the lifesaver--obviously any good file browser would have done the same. iPhoto would have worked but made it more complicated.

Of course, I understand that my needs may be very different from yours. In my business (industrial advertising), we receive photos on CDs or via FTP. The photos are already labeled. Cataloging them in Portfolio gives us a convenient way to quickly look over the photos and see what is available for a particular job without opening each photo.

Yes and that is basically the way I will use Port in the future but from compact flash cards, CDs and the Hard Drive for all new pictures.

When you had a problem creating a new catalog, what did the cause turn out to be? Did it have anything to do with Portfolio itself?

As I am writing this--I tried it and it worked fine--in fact I did it twice and all is a mystery, I guess.

For your information and anybody else on the list who is using Portfolio. I have started a Yahoo group--Portfolio-list. You can check it out at:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Obviously, I can't answer too many questions, but others can.

John