> Plug it in, set the ethernet TCP/IP to get it's address via dhcp. It
> shouldn't be any more complex than that. Certainly no more complex
> than the Airport connection.

Bruce -

    Thanks.  Next time I travel with the iBook, this is what I'll try.

    Let me be certain I understand you:

    System Prefs > Network Tab > Location: Automatic > Show: Built-in
Ethernet > Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.  Click on Apply Now button

    That it??

> Are you positive the ethernet port works? Is it enabled in the
> Network Port Configurations part of the Network preferences?

    The last time I used that Ethernet port was when I was between desktop
computers and using the iBook as my main machine.  At that time, six months
ago, it was connected to my DSL modem via Ethernet cable and working just
fine.  It hasn't been treated roughly, dropped, etc., since that time so I
presume it is working.

    Thanks for responding,
    bob