On Aug 21, 2005, at 11:21 AM, Toga Simatupang wrote:
I have the only Mac (iBook G4, 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM, OSX 10.3.9) recently
admitted to my workplace's Windows network, only for internet access. On inserting the ethernet cable, Network status shows that I am connected to the internet. But when I start up Safari (1.3) I get no connection (even
though configured for the webproxy server settings my admin gave me).
Whereas Internet Explorer and Firefox do connect.

I also would like to access my pop.account with a local ISP, but I have no success with Mail (1.3.11), nor with Thunderbird (1.0.6) or with Entourage
2004.

All programs function well when connecting via ISP dial-up.

I would like to keep using Safari and Mail from my office network. Is there
something I should do on my system, or is there anything I can tell my
network administrator who has no experience wth Macs?

Hrm.

The tricky thing here is that SOME of its works but some does not. The webproxy thing sounds like it's the issue.

Can you 'ping' ?  Startup Terminal.app and type

    ping -c 5 www.apple.com

and see what happens.

What about iChat?  It's a good network connection monitor.

In Preferences > Network, Location "Automatic" show "Built-In Ethernet" and then 'Proxies' ... is that where you configured it?

Is /Applications/Utilities/Network Diagnostics something new in Tiger? If not, try that?

TjL