Hi. I have a 14" G4 1ghz ibook. This ibook came with 128mb soldered on the board and one open slot. Installed a 1 gig memory stick in the open available slot. Memory came from Omni Technologies. The memory was purchased about 3+ months ago. Was running Panther when the new memory was installed. Worked perfectly. Installed Tiger. Memory continued to function perfectly.

The ibook is now running 10.4.2 with all of the current available updates. Within the last couple of days it seems to be running slowly. I am seeing the spinning beach ball way too often. Opened About This Mac and was surprised to see that I only had 640 mb of ram. Hmm. Pulled ram out and reinstalled it. Started up machine and About This Mac says 1.128 Gig of ram. The ibook ran for about 4 minutes and then froze. It froze while running Firefox. Only other app open was Mail. So I restarted the machine. Opened About This Mac and I am back down to 640 mb of ram.

What gives?

Warranty has expired (it had expired when I bought it "new" from MicroCenter) and there is no AppleCare. Long story, not worth retelling.