>Needless to say, I like the improved functionality [ the UJDA-330 ] could
provide.

Practically all of Panasonic's drives have been discontinued.

Particularly the UJDAs, but also some UJs.

The most easily obtainable Panasonic drive is the UJ-845-B.

This is a slot-loader, only, and takes +/- media; CD and DVD; ROM, R and
R/W; and also two-layer writing and rewriting (recording and re-recording
for + media).

Boots fine in my Lombard and Pismo under 9.2.2 and 10.3.9.

But ... it is unsupported by X's desktop burner, unless PatchBurn has
been run.

Now, the Pioneer DVR-K05 is an even better choice as it is supported for
all "i" products on 10.4 and later, without PatchBurn, and is supported
on 10.3, with PatchBurn.

Same media capability as the UJ-845-B, only faster.

I think I paid $129 for the UJ-845-B, and $105 for the DVR-K05.

I bought the DVR-K05 mainly to see if the drawer bezel of the Lombard and
Pismo could be adapted to it, but it is a NO-GO.

Oh, I've tried these drives in the MCE optical media bay for the
Wallstreet, and these work fine there, too.

Now, these are 12.7mm drives as the media bays for all the above-named
machines expect 12.7mm drives.

There are 9.5mm versions available for some drives.