I've had a few Word documents that Open Office simply won't open
properly--mostly those with graphics.  For those few instances I use a
mac at work that has Word:Mac version X (I'm covered by the site
licence, just haven't gotten around to installing it on my own machine
yet.

As far as opening spreadsheets or databases, I'd say 90% of what I've
tried to open works with Open Office--the few times that it wouldn't
open properly, I've not figured out what was causing the program to
balk.  I've had no experience with NeoOffice.

Any reason he couldn't also switch to AppleWorks?  :)