Bob:

Just replaced the 10GB drive in a iBook 500MHz with a 40GB 5400rpm TravelStar yesterday when I upgraded it to 10.4. I first replaced a Pismo stock drive with a Hitachi 30GB years ago... and was AMAZED at how much faster my Pismo was running 9.2.2 than it was with the old drive. If Apple still cripples their computers with drives that are really too slow compared to the rest of the system, a faster drive can make a huge difference in overall system performance. There are places you can see system comparisons like barefeats.com, etc. to get some idea on what the impact will be. Unfortunately, a small percentage increase in the "benchmark" can translate to no appreciable difference or to a huge perceived impact in performance in the Finder... which can make it hard to discern whether that 7200rpm drive is worth the investment over that 5400rpm drive.

In my personal experience, I would always go with a minimum of a 5400rpm drive. Typically, even though these drives are faster... they are also newer and more efficient designs than the stock drive in that older computer... and thus may actually pull less juice and/or generate less heat than your stock drive even though they are bigger and faster. You have to actually compare the specs of the drive to really get a sense of this. I know that all of the drives that I've replaced, while being bigger and faster, actually run cooler, quieter and draw either the same or less power than the older, slower drive they were replacing.

I personally prefer the Hitachi/Travelstar drives. Don't like the Toshibas or Fujitsus although this is just a personal preference and not something I can back up with hard facts to support.

If you want to get the best price for whatever brand/size drive you purchase, I would recommend considering ZipZoomFly.com. When you are ordering a commodity like this, no sense in paying a premium.

As far as taking apart the iBook, I can concur that it is the hardest machine to take apart that Apple has made that I've had to take apart and I agree that separating that damn plastic case is the biggest pain. I have a set of screw drivers from Sears as well as a small hex key set (the iBooks require a hex key for the first three screws you remove on the bottom... the rest are Torx and Philips). The first time you do it you think you are going to break the case... but you don't and each successive time is easier. My advice would be to get the official Apple service manual and just take your time following everything step by step. You can locate the official Apple service manuals online (although technically they are only supposed to be available to authorized service providers) if you search for them or if you have a friend who happens to have the pdf and is willing to share it to you ;)

Good luck! ... Eric