On Sep 6, 2005, at 1:59 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello all
I'lm about to switch my e-mail over to a G4 Cube ans I want to have
a powerbook that will share the same mail files.
The concept is to store the mail files on a CF card in a USB reader
attached to the Cube.
For portable use I'll plug the card into a powerbook and pick up
wherever I left off.

Call me crazy, but why not just use IMAP or uncheck the "Remove copy
from server after retrieving a message" option? Seems a lot easier
than buying another machine to use some sort of removable media.

I confess I haven't figured out IMAP yet, the files are then kept on a remote server.
I like the idea that my e-mail is on my hard drive.
I do keep copies on my ISPs server which is good for back up but if I go to a second computer I have to download and delete messages I've already read. Having the mail files on removable media would eliminate downloading files twice and also offers an easy recovery is case one computer dies. Just plug the card into the other computer and pick up where you left off.

Why not use a USB card reader plugged into the Lombard (or a Pismo).
Or simpler is to use a memory stick.

I'm trying to avoid projecting parts on the laptop.
I already worry about the cisco wireless card getting hit, a USB memory stick would be just as bad. Incidentally my Sandisk 1Gb Cruzer mini USB memory stick has worked in my Lombard under OS 9 and 10. It's PC formatted but the files work fine. With a Pismo I would use the internal wireless card with a compact flash card for data. Pismos are cool, I need to find a barebones model and swap all my Lombard peripherals over.

Andrew in Ann Arbor