You might also look into couple of software options:

Data Rescue X from Prosoft:

http://www.prosofteng.com/

and File Salvage from SubRosaSoft:

http://www.subrosasoft.com/MacSoftware/index.php? main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

I've never really used either, although I did download a Data Rescue X demo. There is a limitation on how many files it will retrieve in demo mode. I had a hard drive that had failed and the utilities you mentioned couldn't fix it. There was one file I really needed and the demo of Data Rescue X found it and copied it to a good drive. I used it by putting the bad laptop drive in an external case and attached it to a working computer and installed the demo on it.

John