Hi Gang

Have any of you ever used a cellphone with a Pismo (or any other
Powerbook) to go online out in the wilds whether there's no
wireless, phone jack or LAN point? If so, please let me know how
it's done. What phones, software and connections between the two did
you use?

I have both 10.3.9 and 9.1 on my Pismo.

Long message, that will (hopefully) demystify things...

As others have said, this is definitely possible, and an EXCELLENT use of technology that cell phone providers have thus far provided dismal support for.

Almost any cell phone can connect to the computer and will interface as a modem device. Bluetooth is the new rage, but USB connectors work too (and I prefer, because often they will provide power to the phone as well, so it doesn't run down the battery while online). This compatibility will be dictated by high-level USB architecture, which OS 9.1 does pretty well. People make a big deal about modem scripts and seem to have a lot of trouble with them. In reality, the digital chipsets in these phones are all made by a few manufacturers, and they are all based on standard AT command interface (with some cell phone command extensions) from days of yore. So don't worry about scripts not being compatible either. So from that standpoint I wouldn't worry about Mac compatibility. To answer your question, you shouldn't need ANY EXTRA SOFTWARE, apart from a simple text file connection script. A good source for cables is www.boxwave.com.

Primarily there is the CDMA and GSM network in the US. Both have their respective "slow" connections, roughly equivalent to 14.4kbps, "fast" connections, somewhere around 100kbps (depending on cell load), both available almost anywhere you get a digital signal, and "faster" connections that rival WiFi speeds, being deployed these days. I have only used CDMA equipment with Verizon (also the network used by Sprint), so I'm not too familiar with the GSM terms. For CDMA, the specification for "fast" connection capability is 1xRTT or what is termed "National Access". "Faster" is EVDO or "Broadband Access", which only the newest phones have. I believe on the GSM side (Cingular) they call it EDGE. You never have to worry about a separate ISP, because the connection that's made is a special data connection, and your phone's service provider acts as the ISP. To answer your question, any modern phone, even a few years old, will do the trick. Look for the buzzwords.

Now, here's the part you're not going to like--the data access (at least anything faster than the slowest form) is not cheap. It can cost you upwards of $40 nowadays. I added the option to my account with Verizon a long time ago, so it doesn't cost extra, and just comes out of voice minutes. Great on nights and weekends ;). If you're persuasive enough, maybe you can find some loophole. It's kind of sad, really, that wireless companies seek to make so much money on these data connections, which in fact require less bandwidth on average than voice; text-messaging not withstanding! But I digress...

Anyhow, do you have a phone already? Odds are it will work. You can verify this, and then start by finding a cheap cable to connect to your laptop. If you are looking for a new phone, pick a provider you like (Cingular is probably cheapest), and find a phone you like. Double check that it is data capable. Ask if they sell a USB "sync" cable for that particular manufacturer (often, several phones of one manufacturer will share the same connector). Ask about the data plan. I believe there is a 30 day trial period so you can exchange the thing in the rare case that it's incompatible.

I've been connecting online with my Lombard like this for almost two and a half years now. Great while traveling. Airports, hotels, in the car on the highway, you name it. Can fax too, with the proper setup. Free printing at hotels ;)

Keep in touch with your progress and any difficulties. It really is convenient once you get it working.

Phil