At 2:20 PM -0400 9/20/05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Quicktime pretty much sucks with many AVI files.Try VLC
>
>http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
>
>Better program opens almost anything

 Personally I don't like the quality of the rendering when files are played
with VLC. I wouldn't recommend it. I only use it as a very last resort.

 At 11:25 AM -0700 9/20/05, Bruce Johnson wrote:
>1) get the DIVX codec <http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/>, except it doesn't work
>with Tiger and QT 7. (they say they're working with Apple on getting it
>working)

 If you find and download version 5.1.1 of DivX it will work with QuickTime 7
and Tiger. There is a bug in 5.2. I know version 5.1.1 is still available out
there as I directed someone to it a couple of weeks back. This is a known bug.
I've found that with DivX and 3ivx installed I can play nearly any .avi file.
This is, IMHO, the preferred solution.

 And there's always WMP.

At 11:24 AM -0700 9/20/05, Ken wrote:
>If GraphicConverter can't open and convert the files, I would
>be suprised.

 GraphicConverter does raster and vector image conversion, not video
conversion. It won't do anything with an avi file.

 And if you want to play the avi files full screen in QuickTime (not the pro
version), you can do it with an AppleScript. Here's the code to run it on your
PowerBook display (1) or a second non-mirrored display (2). Open the movie
before you run the script from the Scripts menu.

display dialog "Which display do you want to show the QuickTime movie on?"
buttons {"1", "2"} default button "1"
set dispNo to ((button returned of result) as number)

tell application "QuickTime Player"
        activate
        --rewind movie 1 -- uncomment if you want to rewind before starting
        play movie 1
        repeat while (the playing of movie 1 is true)
                delay 5
        end repeat

        rewind movie 1
end tell