At 4:48 PM -0700 9/21/05, Bruce Johnson wrote:
On Sep 21, 2005, at 3:21 PM, Tom Wilkinson wrote:

Hello listers
I have just bought my first ibook off a swap list member, and am
anxiously awaiting its arrival. It has 160 megabytes of ram, 10 gig
drive, 300 megabyte processor.
I realize this is an oldie now, but what upgrades are available for
this little machine? Where is the best place to buy ram/HD and
possible processor upgrade.

www.macsales.com is a good place to go. Their prices are good and the web site will walk you through what you need.

You can put an original Airport card in it and upgrade the RAM and HD, that's about it.

This would be the Clamshell? Not much you can do: boost the RAM to 544 (512 plus the 32 MB soldered in), add an airport card.

There are no processor upgrades for these models AFAIK. Upgrading the HDD to a larger/faster drive is a good step but is also a pain to do: iBooks are held together by 3,456 different screws, and replacing the HDD is on the order of "Remove everything that isn't a hard drive"

You must have missed some, there are 3,578 screws. Fortunately you only have to remove 3,239 to get the hard drive out. Easy! :)

That said it runs 10.3 nicely. It's a pain to get Tiger onto, and I'm not sure if you need XPostFacto or not.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA