At 3:32 PM -0400 9/24/05, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
I did replace my son's iBook hard disk this week. Upon disassembling it, I
found a rectangular magnet that was obviously out of place.

After putting back the iBook, I noticed that the iBook would not go to sleep
when closing the lid nor would it awake when opening the lid.

Remembering previous problems with Wallstreet problems when replacing the
hard drive and how it affected the lid's switch, I think that the magnet is
used in the latch to activate some switch that tells the iBook it has to go
to sleep or to awake.

However, I haven't found any reference to this magnet in the PBFixIt
documentation.

Does anybody know exactly where this magnet go?

Thanks in advance!

In any of the all white iBooks there is a magnet around the release latch that attracts the hook out of the lid. I just tested it and it seems like it must also operate the sleep sensor as the latch only just enters the hole when it goes to sleep. It can sleep without the latch engaging mechanically.

So I'd say it has to go very close to the latch hole above the latch release button and near the trackpad button. The magnetic field is centered about that hole.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA