My 17" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (July 2004 model) just recently began
having trouble getting and maintaining a wireless internet
connection when it's open at a comfortable angle.  The screen needs
to be opened about 60 degrees for the computer to get or maintain
the wireless capability.  The result is that I have to move the
screen to an open angle of around 60 degrees (give or take), click
where I want to go next, wait for it to load, then open the screen
back to a comfortable angle to do what I want to do.  I have tried
this at home as well as at a coffee shop with free wireless
internet.  I'm pretty sure that this behavior started BEFORE I
installed VirtualPC and Windows.

What do you guys think?

Claire

This has got to be an antenna issue. The antenna is in the back of
the screen, so you probably have a flaky connection.

Bruce Johnson

Regarding my original post, I did find something that helped a little, and thought I'd pass it along. Yesterday, I had my PowerBook about three feet from the Airport Express Base in order to plug it to another printer, and the signal indicator showed a full signal with the screen open probably 100-110 degrees. So I googled and found this:

http://www.maniacalrage.net/archives/2005/05/tigerinternettip/

which talks about sluggish internet connections after installing Tiger. Here's the tip from that site:

Open System Preferences ยป Network. Go into the properties for your connection and click on the TCP/IP tab. Then click the Configure IPv6 button and set the menu to Off. Click OK and then Apply Now.

I still have the connection problem when the screen is open enough to view it, UNLESS I'm in the same room as the AE Base, and then it works fine. Changing this Configure IPv6 setting has sped things a LOT! I guess I'll have to call Apple regarding the angle thing. I just can't imagine not having my laptop as it's being repaired.

Claire