Barbara, a USB adapter card, e.g. the Macally CardBus:
        http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/connecting_device/uh2226.html
just slip into the PCMCIA slot, and you plug the USB cable into that. You can also find various adapters that provide additional ports.

Note that the above card is USB 2.0.
I have an older Macally one (part no UH 276) that is USB 1.1 which are also still fairly widely available, from $5.99 for a used one (on Amazon) up.... My USB 1.1 works great in my 233 MHz Wallstreet for my HP all-in-one scanner-printer-copier.

Be sure to confirm which version(s) of USB will be compatible with the scanner before buying the card.

Regards,
Rodney
(in Hayama, Japan)