On Oct 2, 2005, at 8:15 PM, Clark Martin wrote:

At 9:24 PM -0400 10/2/05, Dennis Goglin wrote:
Ok...I've downloaded macstumbler. Thank you. From what I see I'm the only one on channel one. The other activity is pretty much on channels 6 and 9.
Curious though...the signal strength is only in the medium range.
Even when I move over and sit right on top of the airport express it barely reaches the lowest extreme of what is considered a strong signal. Strong being 70 and above. I'll keep an eye on this for a while and try to see what happens when my network disappears all together. I'm starting to suspect there's something wrong with my airport express. It's been like this since I got it, but with no way to be sure of it's performance (that I know of) I've always assumed it was something else. I'll also try moving it to another power outlet.

My condo has been wireless via Airport for over two years now. I've had a similar problem that you are experiencing. What isn't discussed as much as it should be, books, of all things, can diminish your signal. My ABS (snow) was hooked up in the livingroom originally, and my PowerBook spent most of it's time in my at-home office. The problem I had was that the signal went through a wall that has a ceiling to floor bookshelf filled to the gills with books. While this isn't a frequency issue, for some reason, it will decrease the signal strength. I was only reading an average of "three bars" via my Airport card. I ended up moving my ABS into my bedroom so the signal goes through a wall with very few obstacles. Since then, according to MacStumbler, my signal strength is an average of 70 to 101. Also, you want to make sure that there isn't any metal objects near your base station. Metal is another less talked about interference problem. As far as 2.4 gig home phones go, my phone base is on the opposite side of the condo from the base station. . . a simple fix, with the kitchen not even being in line with the wireless signal. The best channels, in my experience, are 8 and 11. Good luck!

Zoltan the Tech Man