I've now tried another screen pulled from a working unit.  It also doesn't
work.  Since the ribbon cable comes with the screen they both got swapped in
the process.  As such, I'm inclined to think the trouble is
elsewhere...perhaps internal to the powerbook?  Alternatively, is there any
way to test the screens separate from the powerbooks to be sure they are
good?

It could be one of the plugs where the LCD cables plug in. If you get the motherboard out, examine the traces and ICs to where the LCD plugs go.

Mad Dog