>Is RAM used in Lombard the same stuff that goes in Pismo?  My Mom's
>Lombard hard drive just died, and it makes more sense to buy a new
>machine at this point (case is in brutal shape) than to replace the
>drive.  I'm hoping to pick the carcass before we bury it.

Yes and no.

Early Wallstreet and Lombard RAM is PC66, although some owner-installed
SODIMMs may be PC100.

Pismo is always PC100 or better, and was PC100 from the factory, although
PC133 may be owner installed.

If you SODIMMs are PC100 or better, and read as their correct sizes on
your Lombard, they will work in a Pismo.

The reverse is not true.

Only early PC100 SODIMMs will work in the early machines.

Most PC133 SODIMMs will not work in a Wallstreet or Lombard because these
machines cannot accept very high density DRAM chips, or so-called "low
profile" SODIMM sticks which consist of more than one bank.

Both the Lombard and the Pismo require a special hard drive which will
auto-negotiate down to ATA-5.

The latest ATA-6 drives will not do that.

The just discontinued Hitachi/IBM 5K80 ATA-6 drive (20, 30, 40, 60, 80
GB) WILL auto negotiate. The same sized Samsungs and Toshibas and WILL
NOT.

The Hitachi/IBM replacement for the 5K80 also WILL NOT auto-negotate.

The Wallstreet will accept just about any drive, whether it will
auto-negotiate, or not.