On Oct 8, 2005, at 8:30 PM, G-Books wrote:

. . .My father in law needs to get . . . stuff from his old Wallstreet II
(300 Mhz OS9) to the iBook (OS 10.4?) . . . Could he connect the two
computers with an ethernet cable? It would be slow but we could do it with
existing ports. Do you need a crossover cable or a regular one? Any links to
tutorials? -Andrew

Luis Sequeira responded:

It's perfectly doable using an Ethernet cable. If the iBook is a  fairly new
model, you can use a regular cable (recent macs use auto- sensing ports).
For older models, you'd have to use a crossover cable  or a hub.

I'd say go ahead with ethernet. Make sure you turn file sharing on. If you
need more info just ask  here or email privately.

*********

Thanks, Luis, and all others of you who help us! I imagine many of this
list's members have use for this information (although it may seem basic to
you if you've done it) and will really benefit from a detailed answer here
which we can save for future reference:

Please give the details of actually doing this hookup with Ethernet,
including how to turn file sharing on in both machines.

In my case I need to connect a Wallstreet II OS 9.2.2 and a G3 iBook OS
10.3.9.

Also, which machine should be booted first, which machine's file sharing
needs to be turned on first, what will you see on each machine, and how do
you actually do the file transfers?

Can you give your guidance as step-by-step instruction as well? Please
assume that some of those reading your advice may know less than you may
presume them to know. . .

Is it necessary to create specially designated sharable folders to put files
and folders into to make them available for transfer? If so, how do you
create them on each machine if you don't already have them?

Thanks for any help you can offer in de-mystifying this anxiety-fraught
process!

stanton