On Oct 14, 2005, at 9:28 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Greetings... and sorry for the cross post to this and the Ti list.

Anyone aware of Safari issues in Tiger? Did clean install of Tiger last
night (Ti 400)
and then set up my DSL acct for the first time. Safari would not load
anything,
saying I did not have an internet connection... but the Earthlink tech ran
me through
the list and was able to ping their diagnostic site so DID have a
connection. Safari
would not load anything. Any help out there? (I was surprised to find
Safari is the
only browser on the Safari disk.)

You should probably get and install Firefox as well, so you at least have two browsers on hand.

How to do that without a browser, you might ask?

The power of the command line, that's how!

There is a command 'curl' which is incredibly useful; it's sole purpose is to download whatever url you point it to.

Start Utilities> Terminal and (for firefox) enter:

curl -O http://download.mozilla.org/? product=firefox-1.0.7&os=osx&lang=en-US

(Learning the url of a web site without the aid of a web browser can be a wee bit tricky, but this email will bootstrap you to a functional browser)

When it's done, you'll have a file Firefox-1.0.7.dmg in your home directory. Double-click it to open the disk image, drag the Firefox icon to your Applications directory.

Sites like mozilla also run FTP servers, so entering, in a terminal window again:

ftp ftp.mozilla.org

Gets you to their ftp server, enter 'anonymous' for the user name, and your e-mail address for the password.

Now, you can navigate the site using FTP commands: (these are the basics you need)

ls    -list a directory
cd <directory name>    -change to that directory
get <filename> - gets the filename and saves it in the current local directory.

The shortcut to getting the latest mac firefox is to enter these two lines after logging on:

cd /.1/mozilla/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0.7/mac/en-US
get Firefox\ 1.0.7.dmg

Sometimes Old School is still really useful. I just found a 30 or 40 page listing of anonymous FTP and telnet sites I got in 1991. Of course virtually none of them are live any more, but I spent hours browsing through the UMich Mac archives, the gigantic WUSTL ftp archives (largest on the planet at the time, they had something like 13 or 4 Gigabytes of stuff!), the Sunsite collection at UNC.

UMich is gone now, though I ran across a mirror of it a long time ago in australia, but haven't been able to find it again.

Wustl used to have a copy, but Wustl itself has died and been ressurected as just a linux mirror.

Sunsite is still around, a couple of iterations hence, i don't know what they're calling themselves now, or what they've got anymore.

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'