Try running one of those cleaning CDs in the drive. Sounds like the eye is dirty.

John

On Oct 17, 2005, at 5:48 AM, Luis Sequeira wrote:

Hi

My machine is a Titanium PB G4, 1GHz with Superdrive.

My Superdrive has developed a critical problem: it does not allow insertion of any discs: it spins for a little and then spits the disc out (it does not matter what lind of disc I put in: CDs, DVDs, blank or not, Audio, whatever). For all practical purposes, my PB is witohout a functioning optical drive.

What I've tried: restart the machine, log in as a different user, shutdown, repair permissions. I also downgraded the firmware (I have been using the unofficial firmware update that has given me 16x CD, 2xDVD-R and 1x-DVD-RW for 2 years, without any problem) back to the original version.

Nothing has worked, so far. I thinking that this is perhaps a mechanical problem. I welcome any and all suggestions.

I would gladly use this as an excuse for putting one of the newer and faster drives that OWC is selling, but I'm in Portugal, so I would also appreciate any indications of european vendors - I don't want to face another customs nightmare :-(

TIA

Luis Sequeira

Quotable Quotes

"What the American people have seen is this incredible disparity in which those people who had cars and money got out and those people who were impoverished died."
-- Ted Kennedy on Hurricane Katrina

"Ditto" -- Mary Jo Kopechne