on 24/10/05 18:18, Frank P. Eigler at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Following up ... and solution found (but bear with me).
>
> 1) Copying the folders to a diff location made no diff. The same folders
> would still not open.
>
> 2) I discovered that 100% of the folders not opening contained at least
> one MS Word .doc file (yes, with visible extension). (!) So, it wasn't not
> a folder/.DS_Store problem - it's a MS Word doc problem (say "Thank you,
> Bill"). This was consistent.
>
> The solution was to do a "Save as" and *not* append the extension. Simply
> renaming the file in finder so as to not include the extention was not
> enough (therefore negating any possible batch job).
>
> WTH!!??? Has anyone else experienced this with MS Word files? Must I
> laboriously go thru all my files and do this??? arghh.

That's odd. All my Word documents have the '.doc' extension and I have never
had any problem opening the folder where they reside. Have you opened the
Info for one of those files and make sure that the extension is not hidden,
which would mean, if you see it in the Finder, that the file would actually
have 2 '.doc' extensions, e.g. File.doc.doc?

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

laser chicken: n. Kung Pao Chicken, a standard Chinese dish containing
chicken, peanuts, and hot red peppers in a spicy pepper-oil sauce. Many
hackers call it `laser chicken' for two reasons: It can zap you just like a
laser, and the sauce has a red color reminiscent of some laser beams. The
dish has also been called `gunpowder chicken'.