>Note: make sure they come with the black BEZEL. This sometimes isn't
>included, as people upgrading their G4 powerbooks just reuse the one
>from their original drives.
>
>You can often find these drives cheaper on ebay, but OWC is a good
>store and offers a good 1 year warranty.
>I believe this model is the Panasonic (Matsushita) UJ-845.

A Lombarb/Pismo bezel will not fit a UJ-845.

>As noted previously, the Pismo can burn DVDs reliably at 2x, maybe 4x
>but that's pushing it. So you won't get the most out of this 8x
>burner.

Absolutely true.

2X has never failed, for me.

4X has had very few failures, for me, but it I don't consider it to be
absolutely 100 percent.

"Best", where the software selects the drive's maximum speed, which is 8X
for single-layer media and supposedly 2.4X for dual-layer media, fails
for single-layer media but works for dual-layer media, as 2.4X is not one
of the selectable speeds, 2X is.

Anyway, for Lombard/Pismo use, I always manually set the speed to 2X or
4X.

>You could look for a used one on ebay that has lower speeds
>(e.g., UJ-815, UJ-825, or tray loading UJ-810, UJ-811) to save money.

The older UJs or UJDAs, if tray loading ... UJDA-810, UJDA-820, UJDA-830,
etcetera ... will accept the Lombard/Pismo bezel, but none of these
support dual-layer burning ... that's the province of the UJ-845, which,
on account of the --5 suffix in the model number is a slot loader.

I believe Panasonic has discontinued tray loaders, and the UJ-845 is the
only drive which is in the distributor pipeline.

Now, Pioneer still has tray loaders in the distributor pipeline, as the
DVR-K15. This is a tray loading variant of the slot loading DVR-K05, and
the DVR-K15 supports dual-layer burning.

The Lombard/Pismo bezel will not fit the DVR-K15, as this bezel was
designed for a Panasonic tray loading drive, not a Pioneer tray loader.