On Oct 28, 2005, at 6:22 AM, Michael Cangelosi wrote:

You can boot via usb?  What key combo do you do to achieve that???

mjc

Hmmm. . .no key combo here. I think the success I had was plugging in my flash drive into a powered USB hub, which was plugged in and powered up BEFORE I turned on the Pismo. Also, be advised that booting from USB is a Mac OS X feature. With OS 9, you simply cannot do this. I booted my Pismo under OS 9 through USB but remember that OS X is also installed on my Pismo drive. When I did this, I simply switched the startup disk in System Preferences under Panther. Once there, I selected my flash drive as the startup disk. Upon a "cold boot" all you have to do is make sure everything is plugged in, then hold down "option" which will give you the blue screen that lets you select the startup disk. Any hard disk, removable drive, flash or otherwise that has a system folder installed on it will work. For those that want to see the differences with USB drivers becoming active sooner as compared to OS 9 do this simple experiment: Plug in a USB Zip drive; in my case I have an Iomega that's USB powered. Boot up OS X Panther or Tiger. Listen to the Zip drive, and you'll notice it "comes alive" way before the login screen appears. Now, boot up OS 9, and you'll notice the Zip drive doesn't have any life at all until the OS is almost finished booting altogether. Have fun!

Zoltan

The Computer Doctor