On Oct 31, 2005, at 10:56 AM, Peter Saint James wrote:

The display on my 15-inch, Al Powerbook running Tiger sometimes dims when the computer is inactive for just a few minutes. I can get it brighten again by moving the mouse or hitting a key, but this is quite inconvenient and irritating.

This habit is not consistent. It does it some days and not others. There does not seem to be a pattern to when, except--and I'm not sure of this--it may be doing it when the computer has not been booted for several days.

The box in system preferences that refers to automatically reducing brightness is unchecked. Is there anything else that controls this? Does it indicate something else wrong?

I've had to deal with this kind of problem on my Pismo.

It could mean that the PowerBook has switched to battery power
due to a loose connection with the power cable, and that the
energy saver options for Battery indicate that the brightness of the
display should be lowered to save battery life.

System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Options
check "Show battery status in the menu bar"

When the display dims, look to see if the status indicates that
the PowerBook is being powered by the power adapter or by the battery.

If the indicator shows that the computer is running on battery power
even when plugged in, try a new AC adapter or try jiggling the connector
of the one that you are currently using to see if the PowerBook recognizes
it (and if the display becomes brighter again).

 --Brian Miller