Victoria Brandon wrote:
Greetings listers --

As previously related, my computers (B&W G3 & Lombard PB, both running Panther) adamantly refuse to see each other by way of ethernet. So (as encouraged by list) I bought a firewire card for the Lombard on eBay: it came yesterday and seems to work right out of the box, at least system profiler sees it, and the firewire option now appears in the Network preference pane. Only trouble is, the cord that came with the card has a four pin plug at one end and six pin at the other, and the connections on both computers require six-pin (at least that's what I assume: the larger size is required on both ends, anyway). Is this the proper description of the necessary cord, and is it something I can pick up at Radio Shack? Or is something more specific and harder to find required? And if so, what is it CALLED?

Very short answer, FW has an option to carry power along with data, if it does, it uses the 6 pin connector you're familiar with. Your PC card adapter doesn't provide power (nor do a lot of PC notebooks) and so has a 4 pin connector. (This is for FW 400, the older FW spec not the newer spec, FW 800)

You have 2 options...

1) If the device doesn't need power, just get a 4 to 6 pin FW cable (will set you back a lot at a Radio Shack, on the order of $50, because they only carry the Sony line of cables anymore, but can be had for lots less online, see www.cableforless.com as an example.)

2) Your device needs power provided by the FW cable. In this case you'll need the cable above *and* a FW hub. (Also called a repeater sometimes although that's actually a different thing) These come with a power adapter and can proved power to the ports downstream of the hub and so provide power for your device.

Some URLs:
Sony i.Link cable (only FW cable I saw on a quick search of radioshank.com) ($40):
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2111822

Cablesforless.com cable ($5): http://www.cablesforless.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=281

Compusa.com:
belkin brand (cheap version) ($12):