We have an iBook G3 800mhz 14" that has developed startup problems.
Last year it was through the Apple extended repair program for the
video/logic board issue and has been working well since.

This week, it has been locking up during use (OS 9.1), shut down and
restarted using the keyboard commands.  I was told that one time it
started up and exhibited the same garbled lines on the screen as it had
before it went to Apple for the logic board repair.  I haven't been able
to reproduce that since, however.  I have attempted to reset PRAM
(letting it chime 3-5 times), reset the power manager using the keyboard
commands, removed all power from it, let it sit for a few hours,
attempted to restart using the power on key.

Sometimes, upon attempt to restart I hear one long (2-3 second) tone
before the startup chime.  Sometimes I just hear the startup chime.  In
either case, I don't hear the drive spinning up or anything beyond the
chime, and see no sign of life on the screen - it stays dark.

I tried reseating and removing the memory with no change in results.
Have attempted startup from both the AC power and just the battery
(which is fully charged).

Attempts to startup from a boot CD result in a startup chime, the sound
of the CD drive spinning for several seconds, and then more silence and
darkness.

Suggestions?