From: G-Books [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 11:56 AM
To: G-Books
Subject: what's that burning smell?

Hey all,

I sent this over the weekend, but got no response. In the hopes that
this was just due to Monday morning list overload, I thought I'd try
again. I'm particularly interested in any feedback about other potential
sources of the original video problem, so that I can disclose fully if I
end up eBaying the carcass.

So: The saga is over. This weekend I took apart my dual usb iBook 3
separate times to install a used (reportedly good) display. After the
first two times, it all seemed fine for a few minutes, then flickered in
an out, then finally the backlight went off. The third time the
backlight never came on, but I could vaguely see the screen; enough to
power down. I sat there and finished watching a football game, iBook
powered down and closed on my lap, when suddenly I heard a >popf<, kind
of like a Christmas tree bulb had blown. A metallic, burned-fuse kind of
smell wafted from the back of the grill. I immediately removed the
battery and resigned as chief mac mechanic of our household.

As I sort through the wreckage in an attempt to salvage what still
works, I have a few questions of those wiser than me.

1. What was that >popfing< sound, that smell? Dare I try to boot again?

2. I gathered from this list that a dead screen iBook that will still
run an external monitor has a problem with the reed switch, the screen,
or the backlight/inverter board. All of these are in the display
assembly, right. The display I purchased was putatively good, but
appeared to have the same problem as the original. Is there anything
else that might have caused my problem, or was the second screen
possibly defective as well?

Thanks for any and all information....

Erik

 Small Dog Electronics    http://www.smalldog.com  | Refurbished Drives

 -- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks  |  & CDRWs on Sale!