On 18/11/05 09:40, "Kristina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> conversation from the art teachers list...
>
>> You can do the claymation very simply with Sony digital video cams and
>> imovie ( standard editing program with macintosh computers).... in fact you
>> can do it with still digital camera & imovie....
> Is there any way to use a VHS video camera?...I have a mac and could
> probably get imovie...I do have a digital camera...but I don't know how to
> get the video [tape] into the computer... any help?
>
>> There is software to convert analog to digital- made by "Dazzle
>> software" ....Please check and make sure this is for MAC,
>> as I've only seen it with PC...
>
> I found it in Google...looks only PC ...what is available for macs?...
>
> I did animation, clay , paper, somekind of all day timed exposure  in a
> summer workshop at MU -OH in 1980...we used 8mm...HA!
>
> But in my new art class, the teens want to do some cartoons. I only have a
> VHS video camera and a digital still camera...but art budgets are low to
> none existant.
>
> If I just had a list of what I needed , maybe the guys on the swap list
> might have what I need. My macs are G3 /6100 and running 9x.

Usually, to import an analog signal into a Mac, you need what is called a
"DV-Bridge". This device takes an analog signal like the ones you get from
the output of a VCR or a non-DV video camera and transforms it into a
digital video stream. All the DV bridges I've seen so far have a FireWire
output that you plug into a Mac.

Since you mention a 6100, I don't know what you could use. The 6100 is
pretty limited in the expandability section, since it has only a PDS slot.
Not sure if there was any video card that would have an analog input.

Dazzle was a company making a DV bridge. Not sure if it's still available.
One thing for sure, you *CAN'T* convert analog to DV by software because,
for the video to be converted by software, you would need to put it onto the
computer. In doing so, you transform it (or have to transform it) into a
digital video stream. So, I'm pretty sure the software you're talking about
was probably meant to be used with their DV bridge somehow, which you don't
really need on a Macintosh running iMovie.

-Laurent.