Tried posting this once, didn't see it in the online-archive ( http:// mail.maclaunch.com/Lists/G-Books/List.html ), so I'm trying again.

On Nov 15, 2005, at 11:00 PM, Mike Kauspedas wrote:

Anyone have suggestions for a Wallstreet II 300MHz with Linux? Yellow Dog? Ubuntu?

I don't know about straight linux on PPC, but I run fink and gentoo (portage) as package managers in OS X, on my 12" pb.

I personally use Gentoo GNU/Linux for my various other non-mac boxen, portage is very powerful.

I have heard of many people running Gentoo on macs though, as they have a PPC branch of portage. A quick google brings:

http://www.desertsol.com/~kevin/ppc/

But if you you've never used GNU/Linux, I'd say start with Yellow Dog. Having never used YDL, I base this opinion on my experience with Red Hat, which was the distro I lost my GNUginty(c) to. YDL forked (ported?) from Red Hat at some point. YDL's package manager (yum), is available in Fedora, and I remember it being fairly easy to use

Which kernel version? I was thinking maybe an older version would run better on the older hardware, if I can find one.

If your using it as a laptop on-the-go (as opposed to server), I think that most of the stuff that you'd probably want (proper sleep, etc.) will be in the 2.6 kernel, aka the newer one.

Security wise, both 2.4 and 2.6 are kept up-to-date, afaik.

But yeah, in general most of the distro's you've discussed have fairly good docs. For example, Gentoo's is very good: http:// www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml

So good luck, good googling, and always read the docs.

pg