At 7:47 PM -0500 11/30/2005, Brian McEwen wrote:
On Nov 30, 2005, at 7:33 PM, Howard Katz wrote:

Silly question I'm sure--I can understand about touching the trackpad,
but what about if you just touch the body of the computer--AL or Ti?
It's happened to me and I get a slight shock.  Power supply is plugged
in.   I try to remember to discharge before I sit down, but it's easy
to forget.

If you repeatedly need to discharge like that then you might want to consider an anti-static floor mat under your chair...

If everything is plugged in, and you have a grounded outlet that is really grounded (only one in my house is), and Apple has done things right, then I'd think you'd ground thru the case, out the cord, to your house ground, and the static shoul follow that route from the case and all should be isolated from the sensitive bits.

While normal stray electrons will take that path, you still have to watch for the disgruntled ones -- that are influenced by Murphy. They'll skip the sweet grounds and go for your tasty interface chips...

- Dan.