--- shawn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I do not recommend Microsoft Anti Spyware since it
> is a hog of the
> software world, and it caused problems on my home
> machine and our work
> servers.  If you are going to donload things
> download Lavasoft Adaware,

Shawn, I've got to disagee with you on a bunch of
stuff here... but do what works best for you ;-)

I will agree that MS is the hog of the software world
:-)  I spent a great deal of time making sure I didn't
have a shred of MS software on one of my old
PowerBooks and intended to do away with all my
Microsoft stuff on Mac platforms...  but then I
realized I was living a pipe dream and i basically now
use whatever I need to that makes my life easier.

As for Microsoft's Anti Spyware messing up your home
machine and work servers, I'm sorry to hear that, but
it's been the only thing that has been able to restore
full interent connectivity on some of our workstations
here dependent on an ASP connection. (Spybot and
Adaware wouldn't touch it.) Of course, it's a Beta
product and I would never, personally, put it on any
server (workstations only), but I'll stand behind it
as a good and useful product.

Comparing the big three (Adaware, Spybot and MS),
Adaware is going to have to hit the bottom of my
barrel, and, when I'm in a time crunch, I usually just
run Spybot and MS and forego Adaware.  It used to be
my favorite long ago... but now it seems that it finds
less and less (other than cookies) and really doens't
hepl all that much from a cleaning standpoint...  But
thats just my opinion.

I could go on getting into the whole Symantec
Anti-Virus debate, but I'm thinking this whole thread
is getting slightly off topic (Mac) so i won't dwell
anymore ;-)

I can tell you though that we;ve had really good
success with MS's Spyware beta here, so next time your
in a pinch, as a last resort...  revisit it and give
it a try.

---david [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>   I talked about the joys of Novell.

Ah...  Novell.  I miss those days.  Got out of that
when they jumped from 4 to 5 :-(  Have had to deal
with Win2000 Server ever since :-( :-(

I loved the old days of Novell servers when wary
coworkers would glimpse the console prompt and be
afraid of even touching the keyboard... not knowing
what cryptic Novell command they needed in order to do
something...  Then came the days of Win NT when every
Tom, Dick or Harry decided they could be a Network
Admin cause the GUI was just so familiar and
friendly!! Isn't that great!!!  I can't tell you how
many client sites I visit where somebody has setup a
Windows Server and has it on their desk, MS Office
installed, and use it as their personal workstation...

Novell made things so much easier....

Cheers all,
Sionnach