At 10:11 PM -0700 12/21/2005, Lowell Neudeck wrote:
I have an iBook G3 800mHz with OS 10.28. It is three years old and is starting to act slow and a few other oddities. I have rebuilt permissions and run DiskWarrior but still it seems slow and quirky.

In part, that's Jaguar.  In part, your data is probably very fragmented by now.

Somewhere in the long ago, I recall some "expert" stating that every 2 or 3 years, one should backup the hard drive and then reformat it.

Well...

Formatting ain't gonna happen on an IDE drive. Apple doesn't support that (and they're right - it's not necessary).

But you can zero it ... which writes and reads every block on the drive. This forces remaps if a sector has gone bad. Better to remap a zeroed sector than one with your good data on it.

And, of course, the reload after a fresh initialization insures your data is unfragmented.

I am going to install panther on the iBook and am wondering if I should reformat the drive before I do this.

+/- the above, I would.

Also, will I be able to use the same administrator's password, etc? In short, is it more trouble than it is worth to reformat the drive?

After three years, I think zero'ing is worth the effort. And the defragmented data will fly faster.

Make Good Backups.

- Dan.