FYI, I picked up today a copy of the UK edition of MacWorld at my
local bookstore.  There's an article in there about how they've
discovered that not all firewire drives can be used as boot
devices--seems they've discovered a few,  the Kanguru 80gig
Quicksilver and an 80 gig DiskGo! for example, all failed the
bootup-by-firewire test.  And this was confirmed by the drive
manufacturers, too.  Seems that not all the bridge chips that the
enclosures use are capable of doing bootup--the DiskGoQ! tech said
that their newer drives over 400gig could, since they used a newer
bridge chip.  So it pays to ask about boot ability when buying your
drive.  (this was in the UK MacWorld Expo Issue pg 195, btw)

Later...................Howard