At 5:13 PM -0500 12/29/05, Stanton Mitrany wrote:
Hi, Friend!

I'm very curious about this, and wonder if you've experienced anything
similar.

After I left my WS II asleep with the lid down, with an iBook 500 dual USB
awake, sitting directly on top of it for about 24 hours, it appeared that I
had inadvertently cooked and killed the charging unit/inverter. Apparently,
quite a bit of overheating was forced on the sleeping Wallstreet which was
sandwiched between the wooden desk below and the hot iBook above.

The heat of the iBook wouldn't have cooked anything in the WS. But on several occasions I've found a WS to not have gone to sleep when the lid is closed. So far it has simply caused a crash and no known damage.

Since then, about eight months ago, I've been swapping my battery in and out
of another, minimally functional WS II, simply to recharge it before
replacing it in my working machine. I needed to recharge the battery on the
other machine about once a week.  That is, until about a month or so ago.

It's now probably been four or five weeks since the last swap-out, and the
battery in my main machine still appears to be fully charged!

Can you explain this to me? Should I still try to replace the charging unit
with the one from the other machine?

If it's keeping the battery charged then I wouldn't worry about it. It's possible the PMU wasn't damaged but just needed a reset which may have happened inadvertently.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA