There are a few considerations here. I've thought about this a bit. I have a neighbor who is running an unencrypted network. I sometimes log on to see if network problems are because of my ISP or because of my hardware. Mostly my connection is handier so I use mine. I also have an unencrypted network. She could log onto mine if her ISP gets goofy. I don't think she knows that.

But the legalities of exactly who owns bandwidth are undefined. For instance let's say that I pay an outrageous fee for my connection, which I do, but I need to go on a little trip and while visiting relatives I find an unencrypted access point that connects to my original comcast ISP. Am I stealing bandwidth to use it? I would be doing the same stuff at home but ...

And what is the situation of my own home use? I have 4 Macs and a printer all clawing their way to my router. Sometimes, like during Christmas when my girls are home with their own laptops, I have five. It's all my own family. I still pay rent for all these kids. Why shouldn't they be able to use my WAN the way they can use the heat inside my house? And why should the woman next door, who has one, maybe two computers and no family be paying the same rate I pay? Is she getting ripped off? I kind of think so.

I have also gone down the block to a free internet zone sponsored by the city and connected there. Sometimes I go to the library and they have open connections. Is it somehow unfair use that my neighbor can't take her PC downtown and connect with it? She pays the same taxes I pay.

I find it all a bit fuzzy. I leave my network open and my firewall up and watch my router lights.

I know someone who borrows her neighbor's wireless connection for free. He knows about it. She admits it would be better if she got her own. And the real disadvantage is that the borrower is at a serious disadvantage because the wireless net owner has no particular obligation to keep the network up. Sometimes it crashes and the owner doesn't care because he's out of town. The borrower has no way to fix it. Tough luck. I wouldn't want that kind of an arrangement even if it were free.

Your neighbor isn't going to get access to your machine. You could make her life much more miserable than she could make yours. If you are getting upset with this person why not open your connection (unencrypt it), but then close it down during times when you see her connected. Watch your wireless light on the router. Pretend you have no idea what's going on but just flip the switch now and then. Or go into the config screens and disable the wireless network that way so that you can stay connected over wires. You could really drive up her stress levels and she would probably go out and buy her own service just for the comfort of being able to control it.

Oh there are just sooo many annoying things you could do to this person. Change your SSID to a racial slur. Change it to something that pokes her politics. Change it to a number, then make it invisible. You could have her begging for a cable company to charge her an installation fee.

Good barbwire fences make good neighbors ya'know.

At any rate don't let this person raise your own stress levels one tiny tick. Not worth it. You da boss. Having that Mac gives you the big stick.

John