On Jan 18, 2006, at 8:23 PM, Will S wrote:

Have you read the available info on Gimp Print in OSX? As soon as I saw Keyspan USB to parallel adapter I know what the issue was. These cables have well known issues with Mac OSX. In short they don't work! this is likely why Keyspan has made drivers for the cable sounds like the drivers still have issues maybe? Here a quote form the FAQ at Gimp print ON OSX.
While the Gimp-Print drivers are not partial about any particular brand or model of USB-to-parallel converter cable, when used with Mac OS X certain brands of cable appear to work better than others. Some cables which work fine in Mac OS 9 (such as the Keyspan USB-to-parallel cable) reportedly do not work at all in Mac OS X.

Hi Will;

Actually, per the user-posted forums at the Gimp-print OS X pages, the Keyspan seems to work OK for almost all.

I'm looking at the thing thru the local CUPS web interface, which is a lot more useful than the Printer Setup Utility (http://localhost:631).

Anyway I've got this going (grabbed from the cups web config) :

Epson LQ-2550 Foomatic/epsonc (recommended)
Location: directconnect
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
"The process "foomatic-rip" stopped unexpectedly with status 2"
Device URI: usb://Keyspan%20%20UP-6C/Keyspan%20%20UP-6C%20Printer% 20Cable?serial=0

I am using the gimp-print and CUPs and Ghostprint versions that came with 10.4.3, I've not updated to the latest ones from the various open source sites yet. There aren't really "drivers" for the Keyspan for OS X, only for OS9.

I think I may want to change the device URL to send with serial=1 not =0 but I've not looked for that config file yet.

Anyway it should all work; I did find a proper .ppd for the LQ-2550 (the epsonc one should work) so I think it's a matter of matching versions of the open-source modules and some small unix config editing.

Brian