Oddly, I did as you suggested a few times, I tried spotlight searches for invisible items, but found nothing remotely close to the size we're talking about. The terminal command came up with zero results (no files at all were reported). The ONLY files that came up were the image of my encrypted home folder and the chapters for the movie, which reside in the Movies folder. I'm thinking that my username is not working properly, I may erase this username or reformat the disk,
Brian

Well, they are there on your hard drive... try to search in the Finder for files, say, larger than 500MB.

If nothing meaningful shows up, it may be that those large files happen to be in "invisible" directories, which aren't searched by default (or not at all).

You might still get them in the Terminal. Try

         sudo find -size +1048576 -print

(enter your password when requested)

The ouput is the path and name of the files with size greater than 0.5GB (size here is expressed in multiples of 512 bytes, for historical reasons). That should give you enough information. Then you can either delete them in the Finder or using the Terminal.

Luis Sequeira