> > 1) Display is dark (image is there, but no back illumination; also
> > S-video
> > out works fine to TV). I have ruled out the backlight (replaced a
> > know-good
> > display assemblywith good backlight) and the inverter. This leaves a
> > possible fault on the motherboard, as the cables are part of the
> > display
> > assembly. Does anyone know whereabouts on the motherboard to look for
> > possible damage (hoping to find visible damage, such a blown
> > capacitor or
> > so). Or what other bits could be responsible for such behaviour?
>
> Have you tried disconnecting the monitor and cleaning the contacts as
> they could have a build up of dirt on them. this could prevent a
> contact and give a scrambled pic. or no pic at all also have you
> checked the cables for any damage or cracks in the strip.

just tried this today to no avail. Also the connector for the video cable
(on the motherboard) seems fine. The cables are attached to the display
assembly and the inverter, so they can't be the culprit, as both the
display assembly and the inverter work fine on another lombard.

> > 2) This is a 400 MHz with DVD drive. Booting in OS9, system
> > profiler informs
> > me that DVD decoder is present. However, when I try to play a DVD,
> > I get the
> > message saying that this computer can't play DVDs. As anyone seen
> > and/or
> > solved this?
>
> To me that says the system was installed on a book with out the dvd
> decoder or drive present. for example a wallstreet. Then the drive
> swapped into the lombard.

well spotted, thanks Vicky! Unfortunately, Its' long since I've lost my OS
9 discs, so I always use a bootable copy of a clean install to an ibook
that had not a DVD player.

cheers,
giaanfranco